In July we had the opportunity to stay in the most incredible boutique Bed & Breakfast in the heart of Okanagan wine country. The Bench D’Or is located on the Naramata Wine Bench within walking distance of many popular wineries with views of the vineyards and Okanagan Lake. If you’re looking for a unique stay in the Okanagan here are some reasons why and perhaps why you shouldn’t consider staying at the Bench D’Or property.
We chose The Bench D’Or because it has long been a popular place to stay while on the Naramata wine bench. I first came across it while wedding planning back in 2016 and was impressed with the lawn and property. Although we opted for a wedding in Kelowna, a stay here was always on my list of Okanagan must-stay experiences. We were planning on doing an ebike experience showing how easy it is to travel from one winery to another on ebikes, The Bench D’Or is situated between many wineries within biking or walking distance from one another. The only suite left was the Vougeot room but any suite is a winner with private patios, comfortable rooms as well as chic & clean bathrooms.
Hotel information & links
You can find The Bench D’Or on Instagram or their Facebook page for customer images.
We recommend getting in touch by phone or email to book as there is no direct and instant booking service on their website.
2587 Naramata Road
Naramata, BC V0H 1N0
E-mail: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
Would we stay here again?
Absolutely! While the check-in experience was a little rough due to it being the hottest week in July and short staffed, The Bench D’Or was a slice of heaven with a sprawling property that seemed to never end.
Fast Facts about The Bench D’Or, Naramata
- Queen sized beds only with optional pull out for kids or guests 12 and up – extra fees may apply
- 8 rooms including 4 one bedroom suites, one penthouse and 3 lower level suites equipped with patios, BBQs and kitchenettes.
- No onsite restaurant
- Self-serve breakfast bar included
- Free parking
- Owned by a doctor based out of Kelowna and shares his property with his guests
- Self-serve breakfast included or a simple breakfast can be made by staff (waffles, eggs and so on)
- Free wifi. Netflix is available on television.
- One pet can stay in the Pernand suite (20 kg or less)
- 5 minute drive or 37 minute walk to Naramata Village
- 6 wineries within 10 minute walk (Lake Breeze, Lang Vineyards, Deep Roots, Elephant Island, Van Westen and Joie Farm)
- Electric bikes are available for rent at the property
The Bench D’Or is located in the heart of the Okanagan on the Naramata Wine Bench. This is one of the best places to start your wine journey if you’ve never been to the Okanagan or perhaps you prefer a quiet town instead of the more popular Kelowna or Penticton city stays.
Naramata is the best location for wine tasting and discovering boutique wineries because there are so many wineries, approximately 50, condensed into 250 hectares. You can walk 9 minutes from The Bench D’Or and arrive at the wildly popular Joie Farm, a winery that offers tastings indoor or outside in their orchard. Bring a picnic basket as this is one of the best spots for a picnic aside from the beach.
You’ll also find the Kettle Valley Rail Trail, this is a small portion of the world’s longest trail – the Trans Canada Trail. The Kettle Valley Rail Trail runs right through Naramata and many bike from Kelowna to the wine bench for stellar views of the Okanagan Lake.
The nearest airport is Penticton, however, the nearest International airport is Kelowna. From Kelowna to Naramata, if traffic is good (beware of West Kelowna which can, at its worst, take an hour to get through in peak season), is 1 hour and 15 minutes. From Penticton to Naramata, the nearest city, is only 20 minutes to the village centre.
During a serious heat wave, the check in process wasn’t ideal. I arrived alone awaiting my partner and tried to check in before a dinner reservation. The Bench D’Or was short staffed but I received a call and email from the owner that we could check-in with keyless entry as the rooms have access codes to punch in.
You check in at the main entrance that also serves as a coffee bar in the morning. You’ll find plenty of Britishisms throughout the property as well as eclectic decor from Doc Martin and Keep Calm stickers on the espresso machines, Welsh banners, biking jerseys and nods to their favourite films on the walls. It feels like a lived in Bed & Breakfast but never gets too personal with the void of family photos. This property’s main function is for guests to enjoy the incredible stay within Okanagan wine country and it showcases this gift wonderfully.
There are 4 one bedroom suites and 3 lower level suites. The lower levels suites, where we stayed in the Vougeot room, all contain kitchenettes, BBQs and ground level patios. Eclectic decor of film posters from pulp fiction to classics adorn the dark red walls of the hallway until you enter your room. The rooms themselves are well designed with a hint of wine country rustic combined with elegant resort white walls and linens.
The penthouse is a self-contained suite that looks like a large and elegant tree house with a spiral stair case leading to the property lawn. The penthouse would make for an excellent stay for a bride and her bride’s maids before a wedding or the ultimate honeymoon getaway nestled within the heart of wine country.
Where the Bench D’Or experience truly makes it worth the money is the incredible property.
You’ll find a waterfall, resort style pool with views of vineyard and the Okanagan Lake, an outdoor dining set with swing that also overlooks the vineyards and lake, two pergolas big enough to seat 6 people with BBQs, a large lawn for events or lawn games.
Top Tips & Areas of Improvement
The stay was incredible and we loved everything from the rooms to the property. Unfortunately, check in could have been made more smooth but it being an extreme heat wave we can understand the circumstances. Otherwise, we do have some advice for you should you be taking advantage of the Bench D’Or location:
- Naramata wine trolley stop is located across the road from The Bench’ D’Or and arrives at specific times. Refer to the trolley website for schedule.
- Cell phone service is shotty at best. Be sure to pre-download and print all your paperwork you may need including the wine trolley schedule and tickets – we didn’t and it was a disaster.
- The summer months can come with extreme heat as well as smoke should there be forest fires in the area. If this is something that could ruin your vacation be sure to inquire about the cancellation policy and see if it suits you. They do not issue refunds unless it is 72 hours after booking and 30 days away from your stay. Otherwise, only credit or rebooking will be offered.
Other Useful Links
Naramata Bench Wines – https://naramatabench.com/
Wines of British Columbia – https://winebc.com/discover-bc-wine-country/okanagan-valley/naramata-bench/
That BC Wine Girl – https://thatbcwinegirl.ca/naramata-bench-wine-route
More Naramata with Foodie Town – https://www.foodietown.ca/okanagan-wine-valley-naramata-stay/